Surf South West is an award winning business established in 1996 operating a surf school on Croyde Beach in North Devon.
Surf South West was the first surf school based on Croyde Beach and the first surf school in the UK to be awarded ‘Centre of Excellence’ status by Surfing England. This accolade was awarded in recognition that Surf South West has the highest standards of surfing coaching.
We are the only surf school located directly next to Devon’s best surfing beach: Croyde Bay. Our surf centre is just steps from the sand and being only 45 minutes from the M5, North Devon’s surfing beaches are the closest in the South West to London, the Midlands and the North of England. Our spectacular Atlantic coastline is renowned for excellent surf, bays of golden sand and breathtaking scenery. Both beaches enjoy a famed reputation for the consistency of the surf and a spectacular setting. Many of our customers return to Croyde and Saunton year after year enjoying the area’s unrivalled beauty and fantastic surf. Please click here for all the info on our Courses.
How We Started
Surf South West was established in 1996 and the surf school was set up by Darren Burrett, an experienced surfer and instructor. Born and raised in Devon, Darren began his surf coaching career in Queensland, teaching Australians to surf. On his return to the UK he set up Surf South West with assistance from The Princes Trust and from these small beginnings, Surf South West is now internationally recognised as a provider of surfing courses in the UK and have gone on to run surf courses and holidays in France, Portugal, Lanzarote, Morocco, Costa Rica, South Africa and Sri Lanka. Darren is still at the helm of Surf South West today.
Surf South West has always strived to offer a professional and rewarding experience with the emphasis on ensuring that learning to surf is enjoyable and fun. We offer ‘Learn to Surf’ courses and beginners surfing lessons, ‘Improvement’ courses, ‘Expert’ coaching for advanced surfing lessons, ‘One to One’ coaching, ‘Girl Only’ weekends, ‘Longboard’ coaching and Stand Up Paddle Boarding lessons. Our training centre also runs RLSS Beach Lifeguard courses and Surf Instructor courses and candidates from all over Europe have attended these courses to begin a career working on the beach.
Our Location – Croyde Bay
Croyde beach is one of the finest beaches in the UK and has been the location of the British Surfing Championships on three occasions.
The village of Croyde is a picture postcard location of traditional thatched cottages, surf shops, restaurants and pubs. The village offers a range of accommodation catering for all budgets including a number of campsites, cottages, B&Bs and hotels. Three busy pubs provide good food and entertainment, great places to relax and relive the day.
Other Activities and Attractions
- Horse Riding: Roylands Riding Stables is located in Croyde village just minutes from our surf school.
- Coastal Walking: The South West Coastal Footpath passes through Croyde offering spectacular walks.
- Cascades Leisure Pool: Just across the road from the surf school is this indoor pool for all weather family fun.
- Golf: Saunton Golf Club is over the headland from Croyde and offers two 18 hole championship courses.
- Cycling: The 32 mile traffic free Tarka Trial cycle path begins 3 miles away in Braunton with bike hire available.
- Exmoor: National Park nearby with a spectacular landscape of moorland, woodland, rivers, coastline and quaint villages.
- Lundy Island: 12 miles off the North Devon coast and accessible by regular boat trips.
- Clovelly: North Devon’s famous fishing village with it’s steep cobbled street and harbour seemingly lost in time.
- The Eden Project: World famous biomes in Cornwall.
"Surfers will find plenty of action on the North Devon coast – especially around Croyde, with its world-class waves and rugged coastline."